Thursday, June 28, 2012:
Ixia (NASDAQ: XXIA), the leading global provider of converged IP and wireless network test solutions, announced today that it is releasing a new test solution designed to validate LTE small cell systems. Ixia’s IxCatapult test solution ensures high-performance, resiliency, and quality of LTE femto, pico, and microcells.
Small cells are low-power wireless access points that operate in licensed spectrum to connect standard mobile devices to a mobile operator’s network. Femtocells and Picocells offer many potential benefits to both consumers and operators, including increased performance, better coverage, and traffic offload from congested macro cells. Small cell deployments have great market promise, but bring a number of important challenges that must be overcome before products and services can become fully viable. Major challenges include scalability, security, mobility, ease of deployment, and interoperability. These areas must be fully validated to prevent product and service delays, which can ultimately impact small cell market growth.
Ixia's new small cell validation solution, using its award-winning IxCatapult product line, provides a comprehensive solution for evaluating all aspects of small quality and performance, including:
· Functional, negative, and performance testing of femto, pico, and micro home eNodeBs
· Wraparound testing of small cells by emulating user equipment (UE) and the wireless core network
· Testing of all protocol layers from the physical layer (PHY) to the upper layer signaling (NAS)
· Comprehensive media emulation
· LTE Advanced ready
Ixia offers the industry's most comprehensive 4G/LTE testing solution, measuring all aspects of 4G/LTE radio base station functionality, capacity, and performance. Ixia’s wireless testing solutions accelerate the deployment and quality of mobile data services – from the wireless access, through the mobile backhaul, to the Internet core. By using real-world mobile subscriber modeling customers can perform service quality validation and measure subscriber quality of experience (QoE).
· IxCatapult supports functional, negative, and performance testing of all small cell variants: femto, pico, and micro home eNodeBs.
· IxCatapult tests all protocol layers, including the physical layer (PHY) and the upper layer signaling (NAS).
· According to Infonetics, the small cell market is expected to reach $230M in revenue by year-end 2012, and to grow at a 73% 5-year CAGR to hit $2.1B in revenue by 2016.
· “Radisys has a deep understanding of the 3G and LTE small cells market, as well as the importance of thorough testing when delivering deployment-ready small cell access point solutions that include RRM & SON functionality,” said Todd Mersch, director of product line management, Radisys—a leading provider of embedded wireless infrastructure solutions. “We invested heavily in a robust testing infrastructure for our small cell software to ensure that our solutions are of the utmost quality and Ixia’s comprehensive approach to both functional and performance testing is a major component of that strategy.”
· “Small cell technology allows operators to improve the user experience by increasing performance and coverage, while also offloading data from congested macro cells,” said Joe Zeto, sr. manager of market development at Ixia. “Ixia’s new small cell test system helps equipment vendors bring high quality and high performance small cell products to market faster.”